For any college student, a visit from family means one thing: dinner on them. Good thing Worcester is known for having a fantastic, diverse, creative culinary scene. If you plan on sticking around for a night or two during your campus visit (you've planned your tour, right?), check out one of these restaurants below—our students' and staff's favorite places around town to bring Mom and Dad.
1. The Sole Proprietor, 118 Highland Street. From the Haddock with Lobster Newburg to the Tuna Steak Barcelona, you can expect every seafood dish at The Sole—an award-winning seafood/sushi/raw bar restaurant—to be fresh, delicious, and satisfying. It's perfect for out-of-town family members who don't go out for seafood often!
2. Livia's Dish, 1394 Main Street. Want to show off some of Worcester's best Italian/Mediterranean cuisine? The family-owned Livia's Dish serves exactly that in a casual, comfortable atmosphere. (And it was named after the owners' daughter, aww.)
3. Armsby Abbey, 144 North Main Street. A popular spot for brunch, beers, and date nights, The Armsby Abbey also offers a farmhouse-style dinner menu that ranges from local rainbow carrots with a housemade ranch sauce to soy and chile glazed Misty Knoll Farm chicken wings. (Hungry yet?)
4. Ceres Bistro, 363 Plantation Street. Think outdoor gardens, patio seating, and walls covered in original Vanity Fair prints that date back to the late 1800s. And really, really exquisite farm-to-table food. If you're looking for a nice place to bring your brood, order a steak at Ceres and enjoy the live jazz featured on Thursday nights.
5. Mac's Diner, 185 Shrewsbury Street. For a low-key dinner, head to Mac's. They're known for their homemade breads and soups, daily specials, and super friendly service.
6. The Boulevard Diner, 155 Shrewsbury Street. Another low-key staple, the Boulevard Diner is open 24/7 and is a great option if you're in the mood for quick, tasty Italian food like pasta fagioli and vegetable scampi.
7. Baba Sushi, 309 Park Ave. Used to bonding with your family over gyoza and spicy yellowtail rolls? Baba Sushi collects awards for a reason: their sushi rocks. Split a few of their special rolls, like the Peacock Maki or the Celtic Maki.
8. Nancy Chang, 372 Chandler Street. When it comes to healthy Asian food, Nancy Chang does it best. Their menu features vegan, gluten-free, and diabetic-friendly options, and it boasts no MSG. Prove to your parents you can eat healthy in college!
9. The Fix Burger Bar, 166 Shrewsbury Street. The OpenTable 2014 winner for Diners' Choice was The Fix, and and you and your fam will see why right away. The place is fun, the burgers are juicy, and they have a lot of topping choices, from seared foie gras and smoked gouda to garlic mayo and short rib.
10. Sahara Restaurant, 143 Highland Street. When your parents come to visit, should you attend Becker College, you'll have plenty of exciting things to catch them up on. The elegant setting at Sahara is perfect for a good convo, and the Middle Eastern food is incredible.
Sound good? And these are only ten! Worcester is brimming with awesome dining options. Time to schedule your visit so you can sample some of the best before you even become a student here. See you soon?